My extruder wasn’t able to keep up with the speeds I was going at, so I decided to replace it with a BMG Clone from Trangelabs.
Installing the Extruder
Assembly was very easy as all I had to do was insert the clips and thumb screw. I also inserted the tube that they included onto the incoming side. I followed PrintsLeo3D’s guide on how to install the extruder. When I tried extuding filament, it was in the reverse direction, so I had to change the direction in firmware.
Changing Stepper Direction
I went into my
printer.cfg and under
dir_pin:, I added an exclamation mark before the pin. Below are my before and after configurations. I then saved my configuration and tried to extrude again. This time the filament was going in the right direction.
[extruder] max_extrude_only_distance: 100.0 step_pin: PB4 dir_pin: PB3 enable_pin: !PC3 microsteps: 16 rotation_distance: 34.406 nozzle_diameter: 0.800 filament_diameter: 1.750
[extruder] max_extrude_only_distance: 100.0 step_pin: PB4 dir_pin: !PB3 enable_pin: !PC3 microsteps: 16 rotation_distance: 34.406 nozzle_diameter: 0.800 filament_diameter: 1.750
Calibrating Rotation Distance
My rotation distance was now very off. I followed Klipper’s Documentation again and ended up with a rotation distance of
7.845. I saved the settings and redid the test. The new rotation distance was almost spot on.
This was a relatively easy process since I’ve already changed my extruder and recalibrated my rotation distance before. Hopefully this new extruder will perform better than the previous.